My kids just took off trick or treating. Owen is wearing sweats and a t-shirt, because he hates costumes. 'Cause he's two.
October 27, 2014
Isaac dipping pears in dark chocolate peanut butter -- sooooooo good. Owen dipping carrots in dark chocolate peanut butter. Weirdo.

October 26, 2014
Reading Isaac a nursery rhyme. "Jack be nimble. Jack be quick. Jack jump over the candlestick." Isaac looks up at me, rolls his eyes and sighs deeply, "Jack is gonna get himself burned."
October 25, 2014

October 24th, 2014
Owen gets his adenoids out and a new set of tubes.
Pre-surgery, on Versed:
Sleeping in Mama's arms. He is having a few problems keeping his oxygen up, so we're using oxygen on and off. But he is doing okay. They said he did really good in surgery, but desatted at the end. Not anything serious, but will probably stay a little longer to watch him.

We made it home (even though once we got home I had to take the now-puke-covered carseat out of the vehicle to wash it -- poor kiddo!) The longer surgery and more drugs definitely made for a more miserable baby, with puking and needing oxygen and being crazy angry at all the people who weren't Mom until they got him to Mom (who was waiting patiently with Frozen cued up to 'Let it Go'. He may have loved the nurses and not even needed me if they'd know that little trick.) But we're home and recovering (both of us ) and hopefully the worst is behind us. They said his adenoids were taking up over 75% of the area back there, so in theory we should see a pretty big difference in his stuffiness, breathing and maybe even his voice now that they're gone.
Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts!
He napped 'til 7:00, then for his first no -pouch food of the day, is digging into beans and rice from Costa Vida with gusto. (Please don't puke.)

October 23, 2014
My son is insistent about sleeping on the hall floor. Because it's closer to mom than his bedroom. But he also moves around a lot in his sleep. Which means he tends to wake up halfway in the bathroom. Gross :-)

October 22, 2014
At breakfast this morning, two year old Owen kept stroking Ellie's hair and pulling it over her one shoulder. Suddenly he threw his arms in the air and exclaimed, "Ellie, I made you an Elsa!"
(He also referred to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in their teal blue dresses as "A lot of Elsa's", and he loves to put on a super hero cape around his head and pull his long 'hair' over his shoulder and exclaim he's Elsa. The kid is obsessed )
October 20, 2014
Isaac in the waiting room for his latest endoscopy.

Conversation in waiting room, while he watched a white haired morning news anchorman talking, "Mom! Look what's on?" as he noticed the TV in the waiting room, "General Conference!"




October 19, 2014
Isaac excited and telling me about his big plans for the next day:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/1031333_10152326599991216_233977079_n.mp4?rl=400&vabr=185&oh=3d60247f061237cd647d70379aea584e&oe=5456C355
October 18, 2014
Greg and the three oldest kids hiked up to the top of the mountain today . . . they were pretty pleased with themselves . . .

October 15, 2014
So, I've had a lot of people ask me my thoughts on the 'Teal Pumpkin' idea. (The idea being that people who have non-food treats or non-allergy treats at their houses on Halloween for allergy kids, put a teal pumpkin outside to indicate that they've got an allergy-safe option.) Frankly, I love it and am touched by it, but I personally haven't shared it, because I worry people will think I'm pushing it so that my kids will benefit.
You would be surprised at the venomous things said about allergy-Moms out there. Even though I've never met a single allergy-Mom who wants people to cater to their kids' specific allergies (other than the 'please don't kill my kid with peanuts, thank you' anaphylactic-Moms), the stereotype online sometimes seems to be that we are demanding, self-involved, trendy, obnoxious, fun-hating, party-ruining, munchausen by proxy, Moms.
I would never expect anyone to ever have anything special or different for my kids, whether at school, soccer games, or Halloween (and on Halloween we'll have a bowl at home they can swap stuff with, or they can sell us candy and they can go buy a toy). I have a freezer full of treats that I'm always happy to get out with some notice, and I have treats in Ellie and Annie's backpacks for when something comes up at school. I take full responsibility as their Mom to provide them safe food. That said, I have been SOOOOO touched when our friends and neighbors have thought of my kids and had something special for them, or picked a treat the whole group could eat. Stuff like this is just so sweet to me . . . people thinking of what it must be like for small kids to be different in every situation and wanting to do something for them specifically. People who can imagine what it is like for Ellie -- who came home 3 times in less than 7 days from school crying this last week. Because of food, but more because she's different. Every single day it's obvious she's different. Annie deals with it really well, but for 6 year old Ellie, it's still really hard feeling so 'different' every time. So, I appreciate anytime anyone thinks about them and what's it's like and does something extra for them. Do I expect it? Never. Does it melt my heart and restore my faith in humanity (which always gets depleted when I foolishly read comments on articles about allergy kids and their mere existence ruining everyone's fun and parties)? Yes.
And you know what touches me most? When people include their kids in it. When they talk with them about what they could bring or what they could do that would include my kids and other allergy kids in the fun? That to me is such a mark of awesome parenting -- of raising up a next generation who will be more compassionate, better at noticing the unnoticed, and a generation less likely to leave horrific comments online :-)
(Can you tell that I need to recommit myself to my 'no reading comments' policy?). :-)
So, long story short -- I expect nothing different for my kids on Halloween -- and they will come home to Aunt Lacy and Uncle Ben 'candy trading bowl', and they will have an awesome, awesome day. But the fact that there's a teal pumpkin movement, and it's being talked about among my neighbors and friends, means so much more to me than Halloween. It means a more understanding, compassionate future for my kids and kids like them. And that touches me in a very real way.
October 14, 2014
He's not quite sure why I'm miffed about him playing in the fire pit . . .


October 14, 2014
I just saw this and it resonated, "Expertise cures, but wounded people can only be healed by other wounded people. Only other wounded people can understand what is needed, for the healing of suffering is compassion, not expertise." - Rachel Remen
October, 13, 2014
Next Monday Isaac gets to go to Primary's for another endoscopy, and on Friday Owen gets to go in for a new set of tubes and getting his adenoids out. We should've just planned a family vacation that week -- it may have been cheaper! Sheesh!
October 12, 2014
So blessed to spend the weekend with some of the most amazing women I know!

Ward Fall Festival


October 7, 2014
Just downloaded a new book for Annie:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/10481490_10152301844621216_447348122_n.mp4?rl=514&vabr=257&oh=b9e5a01e1f05783a0c7188bea4daf4aa&oe=5456CBFC
{Deep breaths} Finding a partially opened freezer, with $50 of popsicles, sorbet and ice cream liquified because one of the children left it open, is quite possibly one of the more frustrating things I've dealt with today. I think all children need to go to bed early, to increase their chances of a sane, composed Mom not losing it completely with them. We'll see how bath time goes . . .
Mini gluten free donuts from scratch . . .

October 5, 2014
Owen LOVES the new quilt his Grandma Ruth made him . . .

I don't want to tell her how uncomfortable it's going to be when she takes that TAPE off her eyebrows . . .


The kids were SUPER excited about their Conference sweet rolls Daddy made them! (Greg is so awesome, he made gluten-y and non-gluten-y rolls for everyone). They want every day to be Conference now.

General Conference at Grandma and Grandpa's house:


October 1, 2014
Aw, the highs and the lows of being a gluten-free mama. First off, we went to Girl Scouts and Ellie's leader had gluten-free graham crackers and dairy free chocolate for Ellie to makes s'mores with tonight. I had asked if I could bring something, but she insisted on doing it herself. It made me smile. I might've cried a few happy tears when I saw how excited she was. Then, while she was at her meeting, we stopped at Cosco's. And one of our favorite gluten-free flours has been discontinued. It made me sad, and I may have cried a few sad tears. You win some you lose some. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment