Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Oops?

Have you ever had one of those hair days where you're trying to get your second day* hair to do what you want it to, and one piece is suddenly just sticking out, significantly longer than any other section of hair for some reason, something you've ever noticed before, and so the best idea (as you're starting to hear your three year old stir from her bed in the next room, so you're running out of time) suddenly seems to grab a pair of scissors (crappy craft scissors, not anything like actual hair cutting ones), and just chopping off one random section of your hair? You're left staring into the sink and a nice sized chunk of 1/2" long hair that used to hang along the side of your face, and even though it is now falling right, looks fine, you're left thinking, "Crap. I may end up regretting that later . . ."
Or is that just me?

*I don't know if everyone uses the same vocab here, but my sisters and I refer to trying to do our non-washed, non-wet hair in the morning by how many days it's been since we actually washed & styled it. First day hair is the only time mine looks good anymore, after that, it's steadily down hill. Second day hair used to be my best looking, it was smooth, shiny and pretty. Now, it's just kinda crazy looking, hard to keep from flipping out funny, and bordering on dirty looking, so I usually have bad luck with second day hair. When I had really thick hair, before 60-70% of it fell out after having two kids, I could still rock third day hair and it looked great. I miss those days. When would it have been more useful to have hair that looked good for three days . . . when I was single and had more time, or when I'm trying to get me and two kids ready every morning? This is a big part of the reason I now let myself get away with a short, ugly, stubby ponytail poking off the back of my head at least once a week.

6 comments:

Talina said...

I miss good second day hair. I don't know why my hair has changed. It used to be that first day hair was a struggle, usually big and frizzy. Second day hair ROCKED and third day hair was usually fine, though it was most likely to just be pulled back into a ponytail. Now, first day hair is the best, second day is a struggle (down OR pulled back) and third day pony-tail is always my quickest, easiest hair day that allows me to sleep in an extra 20-30 minutes if I want to.
Hopefully your impromptu haircut won't be a regret.

Sare said...

My sisters are all about chopping where necessary. I've always been too timid to do that, so these days (for the last 6 months, actually) I've been sporting the right-out-of-the-shower-bandana-folk look, not really caring if my ratty blue bandana even matches with what I'm wearing.
Actually, I hate doing my hair period, so society is fortunate that I even consider the bandana option compared to the "stuck my finger in a electric socket" alternative which is my head's natural forte.

Jessi said...

I have never had good second day hair...it always looks dirty to me. I prefer first day hair, but since it is so hot, and I am so lazy...braiding, buns, pony tails, etc have all become a normal part of my first day hair routine. However, the problem with doing that is it eliminates the possibility of second day hair, which I will always attempt after a good blow dry and flat ironing, although I almost always pull it back.

Melissa said...

I have never done that! Haha that is funny. Maybe it will look great and you can start a trend. Then before you know it, katie Holmes and Posh are in all the magazines wearing your new do. It could happen.

Jessi said...

PS....my mom, sister, and I made reference to our "second day hair" all evening. Thanks for the new term!

Lani said...

I like the vocab. I think I'm going to adopt it. I like 2nd day hair best, I think. :-)