I can't really explain this bought of writers block. It's just here, and I'm stuck.
It may have something to do with the my two beautiful children conspiring to drive me completely insane, as of late. I don't know what it is, but they've paired their grumpiness and unreasonableness, teamed up together to present a united crazy-inducing front, and been pretty much nothing but whiny and cranky for days now. I can handle a day or two of this . . . but after more than a few, you start to feel like you're losing your mind. And your cool.
I'm not quite sure it really happened, as I'm sure in my agitated state I could be remembering things wrong or possibly hallucinating, but I vaguely remember a fifteen minute argument with Annie where I was trying to assure her that the yellow lemon flavored dessert was not chocolate, as she was so insistent it was (why it mattered if she thought the stupid thing was chocolate or not, in hindsight, seems rather unimportant); where it is possible that the debate only ended because I threatened to dump her chocolate milk out on her head if she didn't stop talking already. It's those moments in motherhood where you wish you could just crawl into a hole and hide in shame, and yet, for some insane reason, in the moment you cannot seem to stop insane statements from spilling out of your mouth despite every thing inside of you telling you to just shut up already and stop arguing with a three year old about meaningless crap.
Please, tell me I'm not the only one who's ever been here.
It's been the kinda week that drives me to call and harass my poor husband 2-3 times a day every day this week to inform him that his children are still insane and tormenting me relentlessly trying to drive me to an equal level of insanity, and that when he gets home it would probably be best for all if he took them somewhere. Doesn't matter where, as long as the girls of the house all get a good 30-60 minute break from each other.
Y'all have these weeks too, right?
Then, Annie was a complete doll while going out with some friends to the temple tour, happily talking about the beautiful chandeliers and the cookies. She gave me a big hug afterwards and told me she loved me. She also told me her favorite part of her whole day was playing with Mommy, Daddy and Ellie in her room, "with just our whole family." Then there was Ellie; waving enthusiastically to all who would look her direction, she gave me numerous hugs and kisses, decided tonight was a good night to start saying Grandma ("Mah-ma"), proudly showed off three or four new animal sounds she'd suddenly perfected for her Great Grandma, and she spent all evening blowing big giant open mouth kisses to everyone at my parents house, all the while giggling uncontrollably.
Thank goodness for those moments, huh? They kinda wipe the slate . . .
6 comments:
Of course every mom has weeks like that! It doesn't make them any less torturous though, knowing that they aren't all that uncommon. Glad those cute girls redeemed themselves. :) I'm starting to worry that Davin is being completely neglected though. Poor kid barely knows where his nose is. He doesn't say discernible words or any animal sounds. I better start reading more to him. Out of curiosity, how do you get Annie to NOT answer all the questions? Like I say "Davin, what does the cow say?" Weston immediately yells "Mooo" over and over again. It's so infuriating. :)
I have those days. And weeks. And months.
I hope we can "wipe the slate" with God. Like when we have a day (does it exist?) without yelling or sighing or hiding from our children :)
Well Hil, for what it is worth, I think you are an amazing mother, wife, sister, and friend. I look up to you in so many ways and think you have two amazing girls who obviously have good parents!! I can see now why Mom got so frustrated with us sometimes though, having bright kids (like Annie)is a "real pain in the ass". Thanks mom..haha.
I have had many arguments like that. Half way through my rational mind tells me "hey, shes a four year old, let it go." But my more emotional side says "I am right and I want her to listen! I don't want her going to school telling people that lemon is chocolate and her teachers thinking 'what kind of mother does this poor confussed child have' ". I think, if you are a stay at home mom with no nanny-those days/weeks, what have you, are more normal and frequent then we would like to admit.
Shannon, I definitely feel Ellie is getting the short end of the stick! I think, "How many HOURS a day did I spend with Annie looking at books and giving things names and working on animal sounds . . . and how seldom do I do those same things with Ellie!?" Ellie almost always just shocks me with something that she just suddenly does and I'm like, "Oh yeah, I'd taught Annie that by now . . . hadn't thought to teach Ellie that . . ." (And I've totally been thinking lately, "Crap, didn't Annie know where her nose/head/eyes were at this point!? Have I ever worked with Ellie on any of that!?" Oh well, she won't enter kindergarten not knowing where her ears are, we'll get all caught up eventually! :-)
The one thing I was thinking though when you mentioned Weston answering everything first, is I have Annie ask the question sometimes . . . if Annie's all, "Ellie, what does a dog say?!" then she's more likely to hold out for an answer than if I ask Ellie the question . . . may be worth a try! :-)
the first of this story makes us that only have one kid not want another but then the end of the story makes you think ok maybe I can. lol. No worries we all have our days we want to either throw ourselves or our kids out the window :) It happens to the best of us.
Post a Comment