Monday, March 30, 2009

Keen Grasp of the Obvious

Annie this morning was happily playing with a Disney toy she received yesterday from Grandma Ruth (who, along with Aunt Andrea, went to Disneyland last week). Looking at some of the pictures on the packaging, Annie was happily singing her own made up song, "Mickey Mouse. Minnie Mouse. Mickey Mouse. Minnie Mouse. Mickey Mouse. Min . . . HEY MOM! They're both mouses! I 'ever noticed that before!" This is probably one of those 'you had to be there' kinda stories, but it was hilarious!

The toy that Annie is so infatuated with (would hardly stop playing long enough to eat dinner last night, or breakfast this morning, it is just that cool) is a Cinderella fashion set . . .

A little plastic Cinderella with all kinds of little plastic accessories . . . I think Greg and I have done nothing but help change Cinderella's dress since she got it yesterday afternoon. I've never seen her quite so taken by a toy before. Anyway. Yesterday, she had me help get Cinderella all dressed in her blue ball gown, complete with dramatic blue cloak. She happily snatched her away from me the moment the last accessory was in place, and starting making 'whooshing' noises as she flew Cinderella around her grandparent's frontroom, while happily shouting, "Fly Cinderelly, fly! Cinderelly to the rescue!" What else would a princess do when equipped with not one, but TWO, capes in her accessory set? She then explained to her Dad, "I have to make 'air' noises [the whoosing] or she nan't fly." So that's how it works.

Ellie has made it her life's mission to consume at least one of those teeny tiny princess shoes when I'm not looking, but so far we've all been diligent, and at last count we're only missing one teeny tiny accessory, and we're 90% sure it was just dropped at Grandma's, not eaten by Ellie.

Ellie has a love/hate relationship with one of the other souveniers the girls were spoiled with. Grandpa K.C. got a Shamu Cup with a straw for the girls, and Annie thought it was OK, but it was no Cinderella Fashion Set, so she lost interest pretty quick. Ellie though, she's in love with all things 'beverage container', so this was like Christmas. She giggles and dives for it and jams the straw in her mouth (then she nearly punctures the back of her throat, cries in sheer agony for a bit, then forgets the pain and suddenly notices a really cool whale cup with a straw in it and dives for it and giggles), and then she starts to suck. And suck. And suck. And although she doesn't seem to have problems with any other straw/cup container we own, this one seems to be her evil nemesis, 'cause the poor kid cannot seem to get any liquid out. And you better believe that pisses her off. But then she's just so excited, giggling and babbling, to be holding a cup at all (it's like the holy grail of big girl items, so to speak), that she seems thrilled to just be in possession of such a prize. Of course, then she tries to suck . . .

2 comments:

Lani said...

Okay... I feel like a total idiot. Here I've been for the last few weeks thinking... is Hilary OK? I wonder why she hasn't been posting on her blog?? I need to email and check on her... this just isn't like her... Then a vague memory creeped into my brain... something about Hilary going private... which would mean Google Reader would not display her posts. Ooops!

So I'm finally catching-up on your life... and so glad to know you're all alive and you haven't disappeared from blogland. :-)

Melissa said...

Lauren would LOVE one of those Cinderella dress up things. She loves all things princess! She is prancing around right now in her "fairy princess dress". Annie says the funniest things. I get a kick out of reading how her mind works. Never a dull moment when your a mom!!