Sunday, November 16, 2008

Stellar Grasp of the English Language

Asking Annie if I can use some of her lip gloss, I get a a very two-year old answer. "No."
"Why no?" I ask.
Annie pauses, then answers, "Why not no?"


Today at Church we got into discussions about our moving next week with pretty much each and every person we talked to. There was much lamenting about our ward losing us. (I mean, who can blame them, we are pretty amazing and irreplaceable!) During one such conversation though, Annie politely interjected, "Yes, we are moving to a new house. We are very happy about it."


After Church Annie was playing with Aunt Talina. Annie was showing Talina shapes and asking her what they were and what color they were. Talina, who is very dumb, kept getting them very wrong. I mean seriously, you think a 23-year old woman with her Master's in a science field would know that the four sided thing is a square. Annie showed Talina the red circle, asking, "This is a circle, what color is this?" "Blue!" "No, Red." Poor, dumb Talina. Annie always has to come up with the right answer on her own. Annie then asked, "What letter does circle start with?" Talina, remember she's dumb, answered, "C, like Cody." Annie looked at her like the idiot she is and said, "No. S!" Duh, Talina. What'd they teach you at BYU!? (There is no convincing Annie that it starts with a "C", I mean seriously, C is for Cody . . . ka-ka-Cody. Not a "sss" sound. English sucks.)

3 comments:

Jessi said...

No kidding! I feel so bad for all my students trying to learn English as a 4th grader.....

Talina said...

I didn't even THINK about how I had answered every other question wrong or told her I didn't know. When she asked me what it started with, I thought, "Wow, what a good question for Annie to ask!" So I answered correctly, thinking I would be teaching her something. Instead she just looked at me really confused like, "Uh, no idiot. Sound it out. It's an S."
My other favorite thing was when she told me, after informing me that the number I was looking at was a 2, not a 7 as I had guessed, "I have to help you. You don't understand."

Lani said...

Hee hee. Adorable little girl.

I totally have a love-hate relationship with English. Such a screwed-up language, but so fascinating at the same time. Hence the English major and far too much time spent reading English Usage dictionaries. ;-)