Friday, November 21, 2008

Shrimpy McShrimp

So, Ellie's always seemed a little small to me, with the whole being super tiny and all. Especially since every other baby we have her around seems to be 90th percentile or better for their age, making her all the smaller looking. But I've always figured that Annie was teeny tiny too for awhile, so it wasn't that odd.
At six months old Annie was 15 lbs. 4 oz.
Today we had Ellie's six month checkup and she was 13 lbs. 9 oz.
I had no idea Ellie was THAT much smaller than Annie was at this age (plus, I think Ellie's taller and thinner. She's like 20th percentile in height and 2nd percentile in weight. Annie was always similiar in height and weight, like within five percentage points.)
Great, now I'm freaked out about my teeny tiny (although perfectly healthy) baby. We're gonna start stuffing her full of rice cereal and see how that goes . . .
(Of course, her head is still 75th percentile. Seriously can't figure out why my babies don't look like
balloons on toothpicks.)

Annie and I were trying to entertain ourselves while waiting for the doctor at Ellie's appointment. We were playing an i-spy kinda game where I give Annie a letter and the sound it makes and we find something in the room that starts with it. We were all playing in the mirror, so I figured I'd give her an easy one and said "Annie, find something that starts with an M, mmmmm, M." She looked at me, then around the room, then lit up and shouted, "The computer, it has a mouse! MMMMM, mouse!" I was very impressed, I hadn't even noticed that one, and I was the game's officiator!

The other day my sister Star was having a conversation with Annie about family. Who was Mommy's Mommy? Daddy's sister? Et cetera. (My family is mildly obsessed with small children understanding family structure, I don't know why.) Anyway, Annie cracked us both up when Star asked her who her Daddy was and Annie proudly exclaimed, "Gregory!" (I almost never call him by his full name, so she must've heard her Grandma Ruth say it, but it was just so cute how she pronounced it and how proud she was that she knew the answer.) She also proudly exclaimed that her and Ellie were sisters, and had the same Mommy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lena was 15 lbs at a year! Mason was 10.5 lbs at birth! There's just no use comparing your kids.

Jessi said...

I think Ellie (and Annie) are perfect just the way they are!

Talina said...

Hey, for every kid that is 5% on the charts there has to be a kid at 95% and recently I have seen some hefty babies. Ellie is just balancing the gaussian curve.