I have to admit, Obama was not my first choice for President. Of course, neither was McCain. I wasn't overly excited about either candidate's politics.
But, I am pretty excited to have witnessed history. To have watched an (extremely long, drawn out) election that included a woman, an African American, a senior citizen and even a Mormon all going for the same position. Heck, and an actor from one of my favorite legal dramas! How's that for equal opportunity!
I am also excited to have an obviously intelligent, charismatic, engaging leader moving into the White House. In my ideal world our President would be a bright, educated individual (check), who is a good representative of our country to the rest of the world, and who would be willing to listen to those he/she surrounds themselves with (and not just a bunch of flunkies that are there to stroke the President's ego, but people who are well informed in their areas of expertise and are willing to stand up to the President, backed up with science or numbers and general good sense.) We'll see how Obama does according to my rigorous standards.
That all said, how stupid is this lame-duck period. Two months of a one useless President on his way out, and a powerless President not quite in. Am I the only one who thinks that two months may be a little long for this whole switchover period. I mean, with professional movers even in a house that big, you could TOTALLY get the Bush family out in a week or so. Especially since they've known for FOUR years this is coming. I mean, we just got an offer on our house yesterday, and if we accept it, we have like three weeks 'til the end of sale!
Anyway, back to our new President. He is living proof that there are no limits except those we place on ourselves. And that feels pretty darn good. God Bless America!
3 comments:
Great post, Hilary! I agree... I wasn't a fan of either of the major candidates, but you put it perfectly. What a historic election! I love your point about all the diversity among the various presidential candidates. America is still the land of opportunity!
I may not agree with his politics, but I do think it's darn cool that America has finally elected a black man president.
Just yesterday morning, I was out for a run with a friend and we passed by a black teenage kid. He smiled from ear to ear and said, "Did you guys watch Obama last night?!" It made me smile to think he's only one of countless teenagers who were interested, probably for the first time in their lives, in the election. And not only interested, but so excited that they couldn't contain themselves. That's fabulous.
And, in more good news, thanks to Obama, there are a heck of a lot more people who feel proud to be American. And that's wonderful.
I'm interested to see what the next four years bring.
We have already had a useless president! What difference will a few more weeks make?
We have already had a useless president! What difference will a few more weeks make?
Post a Comment