Monday, September 29, 2008

You Go Girl!

With all the talk of feminism and equality here, and here, I just wanted to add that my two year old little girl just got back from a "Tiny Einstein's Science Class." She's been babbling about air pressure, fast, balls, balloons, up, down, bottles, shooting and loud, ever since her and her Daddy got back from 'school.' Next week they're going to be learning about water. Being raised to be a firm believer that a girl can become anything she wants to be, I'm hoping she follows in her Dad's footsteps and becomes a geek.

Greg, of course, is our resident engineer. But he's not the only one in the family who aspired to be one. From a very early age, my sisters and I were raised to believe (probably too much) that we could be anything and everything we set out to become. I think each of us at one point was pretty much
positive we would be President one day. When I was young, a little older than Annie, I told my Mom I wanted to be a nurse when I grew up. My Mom responded, "You could be a nurse, but you can be a doctor if you want to." I responded, "Girls are nurses." She assured me, "No, girls can be doctors too. You can be anything you want. You can be a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer . . . the important thing is that you are able to earn lots of money to support your Dad and I and take us on lots of trips all around the world." My eyes lit up, "OK Mom, I'll be an engineer! Than I can take you and Dad on my train!"

6 comments:

Talina said...

See, they always stressed to me that I should go into something I love and that I am good at. And possibly something about helping mankind, though I may have gotten that from somewhere else. Why couldn't they have pushed the 'you need to make uber-bucks' to me? THEN I would have been a Chemical engineer instead. I'd be rollin' in the dough.
And I TOTALLY thought that one of us would be President one day. Except Lacy. I always pictured Lacy as more of an extreme-dictator-type.

Hilary said...

I always leaned towards her heading some evil organization, like CHAOS

Star said...

She is the leader of CHAOS. Mom and Dad used to encourage me to be anything I wanted to be... But then they saw the futility in that and just pushed me into being in the travel angency. So they could travel at a much discounted rate.

Anonymous said...

The leader of CHAOS? I think you guys might be giving me a bit to much credit...I am not that inspirational. Although people have this strange tendency to obey me...I think I am going to be a lawyer. A rich one. Star I will pay you to be my travel agent.

Anonymous said...

oh by the way, anonymous is lacy....I don't have a google account.

Anonymous said...

and now I have mastered the art of leaving comments with my name attached, third time is the charm. how embarrassing.