Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Flying Elephants and 'Toucumbers'

Annie and I were looking through the ads today. She was pointing out everything that was "only eight dollars" (the price everything is in Annie-land.) Then looking at the Wal-Mart ad she excitedly called to me, "Mommy! Let's get a dog and a kitty for the backyard. I'll pet them. It costs only eight dollars!" Stupid dog food ads. I told her it was better to just go to neighbor's houses and pet their dogs. She seems skeptical.

The girls and I went to the park to play on the playground. Annie was up and down the slides, laughing and running and playing like we were at Disneyland or something. It's amazing to watch her so thoroughly enjoy everything she does. I suggested we go roll down the grass hill. Annie thought that was a great idea and took off running for the grass. As soon as her feet exited the bark-filled playground area, she hit the ground and started to roll herself across the completely flat area 15 feet away from the actual hill. The whole time she was shouting, "Whee! Wheeeeee!" Imagine how much fun she had when I actually got her to the hill to roll down an incline! She then ran back to the swings for awhile, then over to the ride on animals. Which brings me to my current very favorite Annie-mispronunciation. You wouldn't think a two year old would have much need for the words 'Toucan Bird' in her day to day life. But Annie happens to have a toy, a watering pail in out bathtub, and this ride on animal in the park, that are all shaped like toucan birds. Annie always refers to them as 'Toucumbers." Cracks me up every time.

Earlier in the day Annie watched her first full-length Disney movie today. Well, full-length might be a bit of a stretch, since it turns out that Dumbo is only like an hour and six minutes long. Heck, watched might be a bit of a stretch since she'd get up and pause it and wander around the house every fifteen minutes or so. But we did actually get through the whole movie. When her Dad got home from work, I was having her recap the movie for him.
"Annie, what did Dumbo do?"
"Um. He pulled things. He sleeps. Um. He plays. There was a train."
"Annie, did Dumbo fly?"
"Oh yeah, that too."
Not like it's the point of the movie or anything.

Annie was sitting by her ride-on horse, putting on her shoes when she turned and looked at me and said, "Mommy, my horsy is so proud of me! I did it all by myself!"

We've started putting Ellie in the Exersaucer. It's amazing how teeny tiny she looks in it, like this little miniature person barely sticking out of it. Annie still likes to get in it occasionally, making Ellie seem even littler in comparison. I can't believe she's already old enough to be hanging out in an upright toy already though. Time flies!

Annie was talking on a toy phone with someone named 'Doh-doo'. She was telling him that Mommy was on the 'puter, and Daddy was holding Ellie. Greg asked who Doh-doo was and she said, "He's JUST a friend Dad!" That phrase will freak us out in another 13 years or so! Apparently Doh-doo is a 'nenius' (genius) and he is 'hiding at our house.' And she made a play date to 'play at your house later Doh-doo.' Then Greg spoke Spanish to Doh-doo, and Annie just stared at him like he was crazy. I don't think Doh-doo is bilingual.

Annie is currently standing on the bed next to me, dancing and singing, "Shake, shake, shake. Shake your booty!" She does this often. Most amusingly when she ran out in the front yard, bare naked, shaking her little tushie around and singing it at the top of her lungs. Greg asked, for like the millionth time, "What do you teach our daughter when I'm not home?!" Lyrics to KC & the Sunshine songs. Obviously.


4 comments:

Jessi said...

I love these stories! I got your reply card, and I can't wait to see two parents, one Annie, and a baby Ellie there!

Oh, I have gotten like one billion compliments on the invitations. Thanks again!

Liz Johnson said...

There is nothing wrong with teaching KC & The Sunshine songs. I plan to incorporate that somehow this week.

Jamo said...

Geez, Dad, he's JUST a friend!!

Anonymous said...

You'll have to ask Lena about her imaginary friend "Robin". Pretty freaky!