So, it's official. Isaac has a first word. I always find this such a tough thing -- pegging milestones. Like when does a baby start to crawl? The first time they make forward progress while up on hands and knees? When they get the hang of it? When they can get around purposefully? 'Cause with my kids, those things sometimes span WEEKS. What about walking? Isaac's taken one or two steps here and there, but is nowhere near walking on his own. But, his very first step was probably close to a month ago.
And first words. Don't get me started on first words :-) I'm kinda hard on my kids on this milestone -- I don't count it 'til the word is fairly clear, other people would recognize it, and it's consistent. Isaac's been saying "Mama" and reaching for me for months. But he also says "Mama" when he wants a toy, some food, comfort, attention, etc. He's looked across the room, caught his Dad's eye, and yelled out, "Da!" But, he only really did that once and "Da da da" is babbled dozens of times a day to his toys, sisters and push toy. One time we were throwing the ball around, and he chased after it, got it and thrust it into the air with a triumphant "BA!" But hasn't referred to a ball as a 'ba' since. He babbles constantly, and he often responds with sounds that sound like the words you'd expect to hear from him. ("Thank you" is a big one, we've had three seperate times where people have responded "You're welcome" to Isaac after handling him something and then him responding with a happy babbling that sounds strangely like 'thank you.') But, I've still been waiting for a consistent first word to put in the baby book. And I think we have it. The other day, Greg and I took Isaac shopping for new pajamas. Isaac saw a red pair of Elmo pajamas and shouted, "Ehmo." Coincidence? Maybe. But then this morning, Ellie was watching Elmo's World, and a happy Isaac threw his hands together, bounced around, kicking his legs, and said, "Ehmo!" three seperate times. Annie looked up, surprised, and squealed, "Mom! He said Elmo!"
So, his first word is Elmo.
Which made me happy. My little boy has a consistent first word. And I find it mildly embarrassing. :-) I feel a strong need to explain . . . he doesn't 'watch' television! He's not even a year old, I don't sit him in front of the TV. He occasionally catches approximately 30-90 seconds of 'Elmo's World' when Ellie's watching it at 6:40 in the morning (since they're both up and I'm trying to nurse him and keep Ellie entertained at the same time). We point out Elmo on shirts, in books and on TV, 'cause Isaac's always like the red furry monster, and his sister Ellie is a big fan. But I never imagined it'd be his first word. It was pretty freaking adorable though. But don't judge me that my kid's first word was a television character :-) I'm already a bit self conscious about it in the first place. I'm sure 'Mama' will become a staple word around here sooner or later . . . :-)
3 comments:
Quinn's first word was guy-guy for binkie, and now she identifies Dalan as dada, although she'll also just babble dada. She has, however, said mama once. Silly baby!
Isaac is one of the babbliest babies I know. I'm sure he'll be speaking in full sentences in no time, on topics of wide-range and not just limited to limited-access cartoon characters :)
At least Elmo is a great role model, he teaches sharing and kindness among other things ;O)
Post a Comment