So, Sunday was the day of high fevers -- 103.5 for Annie, 102.7 for Ellie. Annie was more chill, happy to watch movies and lay around all day. She even napped. And that's saying something. Ellie was somehow high on the virus, and literally spent up to 5 minutes at a time jumping on the bed. It was odd. There was running, singing, dancing and jumping almost nonstop from our fiery one year old. Both girls fevers would come down with medicine, neither was listless, so I wasn't too worried.
Monday, spiking fevers, but not quite as high. Greg was sick now too, and home from work. He slept more than all the rest of us combined. (I actually added zero day time sleep to that total. Annie napped on Sunday, but wasn't 'sick enough anymore' to possibly nap on Monday. Ellie did take three crappy naps rather than her normal two crappy naps. So he slept like a million times more than the rest of us.) Annie was much more energetic. Ellie was still in Energizer Bunny mode. I started to feel a little sore and achy in the evening. And I was starting to cough. Crap.
Tuesday, Greg was sick in the morning, but by afternoon was feeling much better. Which was good, 'cause our girls were feverless and fancy free, and he did all the important stuff like heat up lunch and change diapers, while I laid in bed afraid to move for fear of it bringing on another coughing fit that made my chest burn and caused an asthma attack. Oddly, I never got a fever. Ellie was grumpier though, and pulling on her ears. So, after a few days at home with kids with swine flu, we finally felt the need to go to the doctors office. Turns out her ears are fine, she might just have a headache (I know I do.) Keep up the tylenol, etc. Our doctor 'officially' diagnosed us all with H1N1, and informed us that for all children under two they've automatically been treating with anti-viral drugs, but since we hadn't brought Ellie in when she was more symptomatic, they wouldn't bother with it now. I told her that since Ellie never stopped dancing and hopping during her fever, I'd never really been that worried. Both girls are starting to cough a bit more, which breaks my heart 'cause I know how bad it hurts, but nothing that even causes them to catch their breaths. Later in the evening, I had a bout of morning sickness. That sucked. Nausea combined with overall body aching and coughing fits just seems entirely unfair. But, I really can't complain too much, 'cause my big fear of getting swine flu was getting a high fever while in my first trimester. Our doctor was shocked that I had all the other symptoms, but not the most common: high fever. I'm chalking this one up to a blessing, and just being grateful.
All in all, swine flu was easier than I'd feared. We've all made it through (or about through) no worse for wear. Annie'll have to stay home frome dance on Wednesday, and Preschool on Thursday, but I'm thinking by the end of the week, we should be back among the living!
Edited to add: The biggest shock from the doctor's appointment was that our little Ellie weighed in at over 20 lbs! We'd been at the doctor's just 11 days ago for her double ear infections, and in the last 11 days while having both the flu and being on antibiotics, she somehow managed to put on a very unexpected 1/2 pound! Her doctor had been convinced she wouldn't hit the magical '20 pound mark' until after the 18 month checkup (which is later this month.) Yay Chunker!
2 comments:
Blah! I am sorry you are all sickly, but glad that you somehow avoided getting a fever.
Hilary, did you see that your babies and TAMN's babies both got swine flu? I liked some of the comments over there.
I am so sorry everyone is sick. It must suck to be sick and still have to take care of everybody else. Let me know if you need anything. David got the vaccine so I'm willing to send him into the isolation ward if necessary ;)
I look forward to your return to the land of the living.
Post a Comment