Talina and David got into the conversation (on the side of evil, in league with Cody) on the way home from dinner. "Cinderella goes to BYU," Annie was informed by her Aunt.
"Nope," said Annie firmly, "Cinderella has to stay home and clean the house."
Talina is now debating whether any future daughters of her own are allowed to ever watch Disney movies.
The family evening began innocently enough, before all of these school politics and feminism issues raised by Disney heroines. Most of my family headed out together to go through the new Oquirrh Mountain Temple. This is our second temple tour as a family. I still don't know what Annie loves the most; the gorgeous chandeliers and muraled walls, or the cookies and mini water bottles at the end. Ellie was even more adorable and interactive this tour than our last. She was waving (to everyone) and giggling (endlessly) and enthusiastically (i.e. loudly) pointing out things that caught her eye (including, but not limited to, light fixtures, paintings, drinking fountains, wheelchairs, door knobs, flower arrangements, and any and all little old ladies pointing in the direction we should head). She charmed the pants off just about everyone we came into contact with (not literally . . . how awkward would that be.) She was nearly a perfect angel the entire time, until we reached the end and we learned we apparently cannot shovel cookies or dump water into the kid's mouth quickly enough to avoid screaming and wailing. So, we left the reception area quickly (Uncle Cody quite disappointed that he didn't have the time to hustle more than four cookies from various hostess ladies), and headed to Chick Fil A, which was a bit more condusive to the mood my children were in after doing such a good job of keeping relatively quiet and immobile for an hour. Ellie, for the first time (I should label this post 'Milestones') could not be bothered to eat because she was having far too much fun in the play area. I mean, sure, I've fought with Annie to get her to eat and not just climb playground equipment the entire time, but this was definitely the first time Ellie was only interested in playing and not food. She had her Dad and various Uncle's taking turns climbing her tiny self up and down the 'steps', so she could squeal and wave enthusiastically at her grandparents sitting down below, outside the play area. I wish I'd had a camera when she mashed her entire face up against the glass, so as to more fully entertain her legions of fans watching on. This kid is a ham. And it cracks me up.

(These are some pictures from before we left to go to the Temple. Annie couldn't be bothered to pose (despite looking freakishly adorable in this dress), so it's just Greg and Ellie and I. I could've kicked myself for forgetting my camera for the actual outing. This is the second temple tour we've gone on where we haven't gotten any pictures of the family on the temple grounds. Oh well. It is awfully close, I guess we could do it some other time.)Oh, and shockingly, Annie is asleep. She didn't cry. And it took her approximately 3 minutes to fall asleep; five tops. She happily got dressed, brushed her teeth, said prayers, and told us she'd get a sticker in the morning, and went to sleep. I'm still kind of in shock. I'm thinking of sending my genius pediatrician a bouquet of flowers or something (while simultaneously kicking myself for not trying out the suggestion earlier). Sleeping, not screaming. This is AWESOME. What a peaceful way to end the day!
Now I gotta go, 'cause I'm busy googling Michael Jackson's death. How freakin' weird was that?!
3 comments:
Hooray for sleep! Maybe Annie just needs a good discussion before bed.
I actually had this huge debate with a coworker of mine. He has a four year old and he won't let her watch any princess movies because they are bad role-models. I disagreed. They are all strong, independent, kind women and in many of the plot lines, they rescue themselves or aid in rescusing their prince. When Annie said that, I thought that was SO funny. I guess I can see this guys point. Especially since he and his wife are very career oriented and Disney princesses definately don't display that kind of thing. I love the disney shows. . . I'll just need to make sure I tell my daughters what happens AFTER Cinderella gets into the palace and all of the public policy changes she made to improve the lifestyle options of all the other step-daughters in the kingdom.
Oh, and I'll tell them that after the movie ends, Cinderella goes to college (BYU, of course) and gets a degree. THAT WAY, she can afford people to clean her house for her (palace servants). It is a fallacy that will be pasted down for generations to come. :)
Post a Comment